So friends what creative endeavors are you up to this month? What about family fun? Or new discoveries? Really what have you been up to? I want to hear from you all.
I am sticking with my resolution to try new things - to expand my horizons - to shake things up......so far since the last update I have:
1) Subbed as a preschool teacher for the first and second time - and it wasn't mass chaos. The kids are so sweet.
2) Felted a small piece to use in a bracelet design of some sort, a wonderful bowl and a large ill shaped place mat/table runner of some sort.
3) Made paper clay bowls. I LOVE these! I love hearts - all year long. I have since painted them red. now I just need to put a antique-ish glaze over them to weather them up.
4) Made the sweetest little paper flowers - I had been buying handmade flowers off of etsy - but decided to give it a shot after I saw a tutorial somewhere online. Now I am sort of addicted - they are on several of my latest scrapbook pages.
5) Started teaching a sweet 9 year old (soon to be 10 year old) girl creative/art classes once a week. What a treat this is. I am not sure if I am a teacher as much as I am just providing her creative freedom....her mom assures me she LOVES it and I LOVE it as well. So far we have painted canvases, did button balls (instead of buttons trees), and she designed her own pair of earrings. Such fun! She is such a great student. Also, it is getting Xander creating with me again - he used to create with me ALL THE TIME and now seems to pick video games over me. :( I didn't get a photo of Katie with her canvas but this is what Xander made:
6) Made a lemon cake - only from the box - but can you believe I have never made a lemon cake??? I love all things tart and delicious - and this was gooood! Ok this wasn't really a stretch - but I didn't go for the safe chocolate - I broadened my horizons a tiny bit. :)
7) Today I presented materials to a local art studio to teach jewelry classes. They were happy with my ideas/prices....so I will be teaching two, maybe three classes in the month of March. I have to say this is huge for me. I am sooooo NOT good at selling - selling my time or my designs as an artist - I have this HUGE fear of rejection and most of the time it stops me dead in my tracks and I just don't even bother - I give up before I even get there - but I didn't give up. I was really nervous and stressed a lot about the designs and concepts and pricing. I didn't want to do the same ole boring basics. I wanted to teach the basic skills but in a really beautiful way. So I stayed true to me and it paid off. Now let's hope the classes fill up and that they beg me for more! :) As soon as I have all the details finalized I will post them here so that if you are local you can come join me for a night of fun - learning jewelry basics!!!!
8) Tried Quinoa from Whole Foods - yummy. Bought some so I could make it at home. If I discover a great recipe I will share it.
9) Doing scrapbook page sketches on a regular basis. I am now offering Sunday Sketch Challenges on my blog. I have grown to really love this - thanks to being on Feeling Scrappy's design team - it forced me to give it a try and I grew to love it. Now that my term is up there I have to share them somewhere - no place better than the blog! :)
So I am stretching a bit - learning new things, trying new things, branching out - making me a better me. It really is fun to try new things - I have a creative curiosity lately that it drawing me into all sorts of new creating avenues.....Oh and I am doing yoga (again) at home a few nights a week - I really like it. Great thing right before bed - really relaxing and a stretches out all those stressed muscles. Now if I could just get Steve to join me - I wouldn't feel so silly toppling over all by myself.
I would really love to hear about what you are up to....inspire me please! :) Friends enjoy your last few days of February and THINK SPRING....it is just right around the corner after all.